Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Books for the Journey

I recently bought two books that I have found interesting while I’m trying to figure out my life. The first is He’s Just Not That Into You, and the second is The Happiness Project.

In just half an hour of looking over He's Just Not That Into You, I have had an epiphany! My soon-to-be-ex-husband was Just Not That Into Me! Oh My Goodness! I should have dumped him during the engagement. There were plenty of clues that he wasn’t going to be a good husband. What Was I Thinking???

Obviously I was not thinking at all. In my mind I was ready to get married. It was "time" for me to settle down and go to the next phase of my life. I was bored with my job and my life. The man I married seemed exciting and I thought the life we would have together would be interesting and fun. And I thought we would have a good sex life.

For what it's worth, the sex was good to ho-hum, some parts of the life were fun and exciting. Unfortunately, other bits were boring and sad. And depressing.

But all that is in the past.

So, it's time for me to pick myself up and dust myself off and see where I'm heading. Which brings me to The Happiness Project. In this book the author, Gretchen Rubin, writes about spending a year consciously working to have a happier life.

I think that her goal of increased happiness is a valid one, and worth emulating. "But wait!!" you say. "Christians shouldn't have something as shallow as happiness being a goal! Jesus was a suffering servant. We are to emulate Him!"

Yes, of course, you're right. But we are also to "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!" (Philippians 4:4 NIV)

It's hard to continually rejoice in the Lord when I'm continually unhappy. I see my own personal Happiness Project as a path to spiritual growth.

I hope you'll join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment