Friday, September 30, 2011

Six Months

As of today, I have been divorced for six months.

Wow.

Three years ago I was in a terrible marriage. In October of 2008 my then-husband asked me to meet him at our marriage counselor's office because he had something he wanted to tell me. When I got there, he told me he was moving out of the house.

That first separation was short, but when he came back home the marriage descended into a hellish pit. By the time I asked him to move out again in August of 2009 I was a wreck. I was on two anti-depressants and barely surviving.

Today, I feel like I have been given an incredible gift--freedom. Freedom to explore who I really am and what I really want out of life.

You know that moment when you jump off the high diving board? You go down to the depths and push off the bottom of the pool and eventually pop up into the air and can breathe again? I was unwillingly pushed off, but I have survived the journey back to the surface.

I am free.

I am happy.

I can breathe again.

I'm so very thankful to be here.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really great, encouraging post to read! I'm so glad to hear it!

    When I put myself in your shoes (starting over husbandless) back in May, during the time of my dear husband's heart attack and bypass surgery, I had exactly the same feeling you describe, of being up on the high diving board, and wondering if I was going to have to completely re-invent my life. Jumping was the last thing I wanted to do, because I was happy in my marriage.

    But jumping off that board to get away from a situation where I was desperately unhappy? That, I can see, might be a jump worth taking.

    I'm so glad for your happiness, your freedom, and your ability to breathe again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're rejoicing in the freedom! I know the cutting of the chain that bound you must have been harder and more painful than I can imagine.

    ReplyDelete