Sunday, January 2, 2011

Exercise, Shmexercise

I have realized that Couch-to-5K is not going to work out for me.  I love the idea of it.  Here's a plan to turn someone from a total couch potato to a regular exerciser.  Ready. . . .Go!

I downloaded a handy dandy podcast from the internet that would tell me when to walk and when to run.  I already knew that with my bad joints running wasn't a good idea and that I should just walk really fast instead of running during the running times.

I put on my walking shoes and headed out the door.  It was really cold (for a southerner), but I kept going.  I enjoyed my walk and did a good job during the walk-really-fast times.  I came home tired but refreshed.  Then I sat down.  And when I tried to stand up again, it was painful.  And the pain in my joints continued for the rest of the day.  Ouch.

Standing at the stove to cook dinner was not a pleasant experience.

I still hurt this morning.

Dadgumit.

I'm still determined to do something that will improve my overall fitness and health, because therein lies happiness.  I'll have to ponder it.  Any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. What if you used the Couch to 5K program on an elliptical machine or a bike? Basically you'll still be getting the build up of interval training that will get you on track for longer cardio sessions, but without the joint pain.
    I'm sorry you're hurting, joint pain is miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a great idea. I'm going to look into it, but I will need to join the Y or a gym since I don't have any equipment right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got nothing. I'm allergic to exercise. I'm proud of you, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muscle soreness is from the build-up of lactic acid in your muscles. This happens because the muscles aren't used to burning oxygen and so they resort to anaerobic metabolism to provide energy and the side product of anaerobic metabolism is lactic acid. Lactic acid is irritating to muscle tissue and causes soreness.

    Also the soreness comes from small tears in the muscle fibers. This is a good thing because the repairs of those small tears increases circulation, reducing lactic acid build-up next time you exercise and causing muscle build.

    Joint pain is a serious problem, but, unless you truly have a joint injury, the likely cause of the joint pain is muscle weakness. The joint is doing the work of the muscles which are too weak.

    I suggest that you slow down, walk slower.

    Take motrin before exercise and regularly for a few days as that will decrease inflammation and irritation from the lactic acid.

    Drink a lot of water. That helps flush away the lactic acid quicker. If you can afford a massage go get one as that will also help move the lactic acid out.

    Try taking glucosamine, chondroitin, & MSM. Studies show that this is as effective as motrin in relieving joint pain, but it takes about three months to start working.

    I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete